Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bad Shit Happens Like Clockwork (in a New York Accent)

Bad Shit Happens Like Clockwork
In a New York accent
Bad Shit happens like clockwork-
Our car, my families car is out 
of commission, 
so to speak, actually the girl 
who rents a room from us,
the bipolar one, she totaled our
car. One night, in the middle 
of the night, she’s out with her
boyfriend, when-WHAM-
she smashes into the guard rail 
on some lonely deserted
road in Long Island or someplace. 
She gave us her car,
just like that, it is a piece of crap, but hey it drives-and
we didn’t care so much, I mean we like her, we
have a car when we need it-
like today, we needed it, to get here, to get this funeral.
We all pile into this little Chevet or whatever it is, 
my three babies, my husband and me-the car
is so small we are crammed in like Pickles in a
jar at the roller skating rink on Sunday afternoon.
We are heading out of the city on Rhode Island Ave
when - BLAM - a car hit us from behind. 
All the windows of the rolling death trap we are in
shatter-I’m in the back seat, a car seat on either side,
my daughter, she’s up front with my husband and
we are all covered in little tiny shards of
glass.  My husband throws open the door into
the oncoming traffic of Rhode Island Ave-the kids
and I are silent and in shock-my husband yells “What
the Fuck were you thinking” as he jumps out of the 
drivers seat into the oncoming traffic.  I am trying to
pick the glass off my boys.
I turn to get a look at the son of a bitch that plowed
into us, he is out of his truck, apologizing and using
all kinds of hand gestures to talk to my husband-he 
was saying he was sorry, but I don’t think he knew
how to say anything else in English, he was just waving
his hands and talking but I have no idea what he was saying-
You know my husband, he’s a pain in the 
ass sometimes, but he’s really just a big old softy,
he felt terrible for yelling Fuck at that guy so he 
starts apologizing and waving his hands around too.
There is so much glass in the car, tiny little pieces
in all of our clothes, and my little one he’s only 3 
so it was hard for him to try and sit still while I cut up
my hands trying to get the glass off of him.
All three of them had recovered from the impact 
and now were traumatized and screaming their
heads off.
Cars are flying past us-My husband and the mexican 
guy that hit us are deep in conversation,sharing 
a moment and bonding over the tragedy that has 
befallen us.  What needs to happen is that we need to
get the car out of the road and the kids away from 
all that glass, but no, My husband still feels so bad about
yelling Fuck that he continues to apologize to the Mexican,
I’m thinking that there isn’t time for them roast a goat over the fire
because we still have to get here-to the funeral.
The bad driver explains to my husband that he doesn’t 
have insurance, he has no idea what a bleeding heart 
my husband is...My husband LOVES Mexicans, the more
illegal the better-he assures this guy he won’t call the police 
or the insurance company or the INS or whatever the
hell they call  them these days.  I’m worried that if
my babies continue screaming I might shove some
glass in their throats just to make them be quiet and 
now we are all freezing, because with out car windows
it is God Damn Cold.
My husband comes back to the car smiling,
that is because he has been standing in traffic bonding,
instead of sitting in a freezing cold car with
screaming babies covered in glass-
“It’s alright” he says.
(Pause)
“He has four cars at his house, he said we
can have anyone we want”
So-here we are.  We made it.  We borrowed
a car from my son’s preschool teacher
We just left that piece of shit Chevet in front of an
oral surgeons office on Rhode Island Ave.
Before we left, that little Mexican guy started 
waving at us- he and my husband spoke with hand gestures - 
 Thanks to him, we remembered to take the license plates off.

No comments:

Post a Comment